Saturday, June 25, 2005

Time for a server upgrade...

Our server went down for a while Fri. I'm not quite sure how long since Sarah was on it early Fri evening updating photos and I noticed it around 1:15am Sat. It is an old Gateway 450 MHz Pentium II with 256 MB RAM running Suse Linux that probably is either having a power supply problem or I kicked it too many times under my desk. I have considered upgrading it for quite sometime considering there are three fast AMD's sitting next to it. I hate to have to run too many machines simultaneously. Virtualizing it is something that has crossed my mind before since there is a smoking fast dual processor AMD Athlon MP 2000+ & 1800+ machine with 3 gigs of RAM sitting next to me. It is primarily my malware analysis box that is currently in flux as to the OS that will end up on it. I like Suse and Kubuntu. Suse is slick and well-done, plus I like KDE. Suse also is not free and RPMs suck. Kubuntu uses KDE and is Debian-based making software management so much easier than RPMs, but alas, the SMP support is not fabulous and it destroyed the performance of my VMware virtual machines. I downloaded the ISO for Yoper and may try that out after I finish my current NWC review (Red Hat stuff ;). There is a dual mobo with an Athlon MP 1800+ with a gig of RAM that I may be giving Jordan soon. Maybe I can talk him into buying me an Athlon MP 2600+ in exchange so he could then have it with dual 1800+ processors. That is an idea that I might just have to bug him about.

Currently, my desktop is an Athlon 64bit 3200+ with a gig of RAM and there is an Athlon 2600+ with a gig of RAM just sitting next to it unused. Maybe it should become a file and web server...I just don't know. So much power and so little bandwidth used by our sites. That is partly why I was thinking of virtualizing the web server. It provides a layer of security in addition to being able to consolidate server tasks to one powerful machine. Enough rambling about this. I still have yet figured out the true usefulness of the debugging tools I wrote about previously. They are installed, I created a crash dump, opened it to see complaints about symbol issues and have not been able to get much further. Time to sleep since Gabi is finally sleeping. Good night.

No comments: