Sunday, November 04, 2007

Tethering a Verizon BlackBerry 8830 with Mac OS X Leopard

These settings go into System Preferences under the Network area. You have to add a Bluetooth device and pair the phone with modem. If you don't know how, read the forum post that got me this far. The forum works great with Tiger but did not work with Leopard. I had to make changes to the Advanced area to get it to work properly.

Username: PHONE_NUMBER@vzw3.com (not sure how important this is, I've done it with the BlackBerry Internet Server username also)
Password: vzw
Telephone: #777

Advanced button
Vendor: Generic
Model: Dialup Device
(Leave the rest as defaults)

2 comments:

Ben said...

I was setting up a 7130e this week and from what I understood the username and password weren't required, even though they could be input. It seemed to just authenticate off of the phone number. I'm setting up another one in a week or so, so I'll experiment a little. :)

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I've searched for this answer for a couple weeks.

Is anybody aware of how data minutes are treated by Verizon with this solution? When I use VZAccess manager with a PC laptop, they fall under my unlimited usage plan.